After an ugly incident which resulted in second-degree burns on a Wisconsin woman, Fitbit Inc (NYSE:FIT) has spoken about its Fitbit tracker. The company says that the device, which exploded and set the woman’s arm on fire last week, is now safe to use. Dina Mitchell of Milwaukee had used the wearable for just two weeks before the occurrence.
Talking to ABC News, she recounted how the whole thing unfolded and according to her, the gadget was defective. After its explosion, the melting of the bracelet left pieces of plastic burning on her arm resulting in a scar. The watch had been given to her as a birthday gift.
The designing and production of Fitbit products
Prior to the incident, Mitchell says there were no indications that anything was wrong with the Fitbit on her arm. A medical specialist has confirmed having treated her and the company is also said to have offered her a replacement device at no cost after giving a comprehensive narrative of what had happened.
Fitbit says that this is the first report of an exploding watch incidence it has received, which involves a Flex 2 device explosion. The company claims that the production of its products is under strict standards. It also ensures procedural and extensive testing both internally and externally.
Fitbit fitness trackers come with a warning
In showing concern over the situation Fitbit responded, “We are extremely concerned about Ms. Mitchell’s report regarding her Flex 2 and take it very seriously, as the health and safety of our customers is our top priority.”
There was no warning that would have pointed to the alleged malfunction. However, the company says that there is an all-inclusive warning on the presence of electrical equipment that is liable to cause injury if handled with carelessness. Nevertheless, as it continues to investigate the incidence Fitbit says there is no reason why customers’ should stay away from the device.
In the meantime, Fitbit’s stock closed at $5.79 witnessing an increase of $0.13 or 2.30%.